Skip to main content

Sugarless Thanksgiving???

In Poland, we never celebrate Thanksgiving on the actual day. It isn't a national holiday, so of course, we all have to do our normal jobs on the day. It seems a little weird, but I think we've adjusted.

We invited all our English students for a traditional Thanksgiving meal on Friday night. I made the pumpkin pies. The first two turned out glossy and moist. The next two looked drier, but absolutely beautiful. Hmm! I thought. Must be because I cut down on the cream in the second two. As I was cutting them, by mistake a sliver came off in my hand. I popped it in my mouth. Ugghhh! Something was wrong. No sugar!!!! I had forgotten to add the sugar. Well, since the first two were beautiful, we cut them in small pieces and served them. They got raves.

But the next day, Saturday, we opened our home to the team for our yearly Turkey dinner. Everything was delicious as usual, and we all felt stuffed. But the pumpkin pies???? Have you ever tasted them without sugar??? All the spices, but no flavor. Blahhhh! But we smothered them with whipped cream, and joked about our diabetic pie and ate them anyway. Maybe next year....

Our English students enjoying a traditional American Thankgiving

And our team in our livingroom

Robin carving the turkey

Happy Thankgiving everyone!!!

Comments

jump4joy said…
Enjoyed the pictures. And I am glad you had at least two good pies to serve to the English students. I am glad to get this glimpse into your life again. God bless you all and may His hand of love be felt by all. Lorene
Anonymous said…
yay for pictures (: Looking forward to getting to know you all next month!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm officially moving to xanga. Please come visit me there. I might be back someday, but right now xanga is more user friendly and a lot of my friends are over there. Sorry, bloggers. My address is: http://www.xanga.com/bubblingteapot

Spring Cleaning is Dangerous!!!

My house was in sad need of a cleaning from top to bottom today . I was planning to clean the downstairs yesterday, but I've learned the flexibility is essential here. I didn't get one thing cleaned yesterday. So, this morning, I'm thinking that I will do a quick over all cleaning. But as I began looking at the living room I saw so many things that needed to be cleaned I decided to spring clean the whole room. Very dangerous! So instead of cleaning my house, I spent all day cleaning my living room. I was washing and hanging out curtains, polishing the lights and windows, dusting the shelves, cleaning out magazine racks, wiping the baseboards, and oh, my, everything looked so nice. Such a good feeling!!! The last thing that needed to be done was to roll up the big rug and haul it outside. These sweepers over here are for the birds. Every so often we just have to take our carpets out and beat all that dust out of them, which isn't impossible since we don't have wall-t...

Trip to Oregon

As some of you already know, I made an unexpected flying trip to be at my sister Judy's wedding this past week. My Dad had some free miles that he used to purchase my ticket only a little more than a week before the wedding. We decided to try to surprise everyone. But the trip wasn't without it's problems. When I got to Warsaw the first morning, my flight to London was cancelled because of the fog. (Warsaw can handle piles of snow, but not fog). The next day I went back to Warsaw and began my delayed trip. When I got to Vancouver that evening and my one hour flight to Portland was cancelled. (Vancouver can handle dense fog, but not snow!!!) Five out of six of my flights were either delayed or cancelled!!! I arrived in Portland a day and a half after I was planning. I had lots of stories to tell. Here are a few excerpts I wrote home while there: "Well, the story doesn't end yet...I don't have a way to call you so I thought you would probably check email first th...