Skip to main content

One of Those Days...

How can I explain how I felt? It was one of those times that my heart sunk to the very tip of my little toe.

I was happily sewing my last dress for the summer season, feeling a great feat was about to be accomplished. How I wanted to celebrate after this last seam was finished! With gusto, I pressed the pedal a bit harder. What in the world? The pieces didn't match up. One was a good 6 inches shorter than the other. Did I get the wrong piece? Impossible--this was the last piece to put together!! Maybe I got ahold of the scraps? I looked carefully. I examined it closely. What was the problem. Then I noticed a big, jagged gouge cut right out of the bottom of my skirt!!! Oh, no!

Then I turned to look into two guilty eyes. "Mom, I thought that was your scraps. I didn't know it was your dress." Her eyes pleaded me to understand. And really, it was my fault. I always allowed Allison to play sewing with the scraps of material while I sewed. I had lain the skirt on a nearby table and how did she know that it wasn't the scraps that I usually lay aside?

I can't describe the feeling I had at this moment. I wanted to be angry, but at whom? I wanted to cry, but for what? Really, there was nothing to do. I couldn't cut another skirt because there wasn't enough material. I couldn't hide it in a seam, because it was to big of a hole. So, after laying aside all my pride at the thought of my beautiful new Sunday dress, I patched it, and decided it will be my first beautiful house dress. A lesson learned indeed!

Comments

jump4joy said…
Oh, I can imagine the feelings that went through you. I want to praise you for handling it well. You portrayed Jesus to your child. Blessings.
PS Sometimes it is nice to have a nice everyday dress. :)
Anonymous said…
I pray that every time you wear your dress that God blesses you for the wonderful way you handled that with your little girl. She will remember your love and tenderness with her forever and cherish you all the more.
Iain
Dorcas said…
Oh Laura. We have all been in Alli's shoes and most of us have been in yours. You put it so well.
yes, the ladies here looked at it and think maybe it will be ok. It still remains to be seen. It's just that I will always know it's there, you know.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm officially moving to xanga. Please come visit me there. I might be back someday, but right now xanga is more user friendly and a lot of my friends are over there. Sorry, bloggers. My address is: http://www.xanga.com/bubblingteapot

Spring Cleaning is Dangerous!!!

My house was in sad need of a cleaning from top to bottom today . I was planning to clean the downstairs yesterday, but I've learned the flexibility is essential here. I didn't get one thing cleaned yesterday. So, this morning, I'm thinking that I will do a quick over all cleaning. But as I began looking at the living room I saw so many things that needed to be cleaned I decided to spring clean the whole room. Very dangerous! So instead of cleaning my house, I spent all day cleaning my living room. I was washing and hanging out curtains, polishing the lights and windows, dusting the shelves, cleaning out magazine racks, wiping the baseboards, and oh, my, everything looked so nice. Such a good feeling!!! The last thing that needed to be done was to roll up the big rug and haul it outside. These sweepers over here are for the birds. Every so often we just have to take our carpets out and beat all that dust out of them, which isn't impossible since we don't have wall-t...

I Hate Mending

There! That makes me feel better! I... ...detest ...abhor ...despise mending. I'm sure those of you who are virtuous mothers are shaking their heads and wondering what is the matter with me. I don't know where I missed it, but the pile of mending in my sewing center makes me cringe with hatred. Why do I wait until all of Allison's dresses are missing a button before I finally, grudgingly get out my needle and thread? Why does a dress hang for two years in my closet with chopped off sleeves that are only waiting for one seam? Why do John's Sunday pants lay over my bedroom chair for weeks before I finally get around to sewing the loophole back on? I've always hated repairing clothes. When I learned to sew and sewed my sleeve in upside down, I would have rather started all over than to tear out the one little seam. Mending is such a tedious chore. But today, when I finally got around to sewing on six buttons on six dresses, sewing up a hole in the back of another, and...