Skip to main content

"Quick and Easy" or "Difficult and Time-consuming"?

Trying to follow an American recipe in Poland can be a catastrophe. Especially, those recipes that say "Quick and Easy." About 99% of the time, I must first of all make my substitutes for the time-saving bought ingredients that aren't available over here. After all my dishes are dirty preparing all the ingredients, I can then assemble the recipe. Unfortunately, for me, these recipes become quite complicated. Georgene posted about being faithful in little things. I thought I would post some of the substitutes I've learned to use. Maybe some of you can save some money by preparing your own substitutes.

Bisquick Substitute
8 cups flour
4 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
8 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups shortening
Mix until finely crumbled. Store in air-tight container or in the freezer.

Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup warm water
Blend in blender until smooth. Chill.

Cream Soup Mix
2 cups instant dry milk powder
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup chicken boullion
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Combine. For one can of cream soup (10 3/4 oz) blend 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cup water.
I have many more, but maybe this is enough for today. I will post more later.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That would be interesting. I very rarely buy bisquick so the one for bisquick I am familiar with but those other two are good to know. I have the "Make-a-Mix cookbook and it is so helpful for that stuff, but I don't thik it has either the milk or soup one. Thanks! -val ( i can't get my sign-in to work for some reason)
Karen G. said…
I can understand some of these substitutes, but you can buy sweetened condensed milk. Look for it on the shelves where they have cream for coffee, etc. Some comes in little cartons, but you can also find cans--but there is both sweetened and unsweetened, so be careful.

Mleko zagegeszczone--either slodzone or nieslodzone.

Good luck. ;-)
Karen G. said…
zageszczone, I mean. Sorry, no Polish characters, and the spelling is hard.
Thanks for the comment on my site. Yes, you're right. You can buy sweetened condensed milk in Poland and I do sometimes, it's just rather expensive. :) Thanks for the hint. I enjoyed browsing your site. I see you have a post about homeschooling. Are you Polish? and you homeschool in Poland? I would like to hear more. You can email me personally at jolasmucker@terramail.pl if you like.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm officially moving to xanga. Please come visit me there. I might be back someday, but right now xanga is more user friendly and a lot of my friends are over there. Sorry, bloggers. My address is: http://www.xanga.com/bubblingteapot

Spring Cleaning is Dangerous!!!

My house was in sad need of a cleaning from top to bottom today . I was planning to clean the downstairs yesterday, but I've learned the flexibility is essential here. I didn't get one thing cleaned yesterday. So, this morning, I'm thinking that I will do a quick over all cleaning. But as I began looking at the living room I saw so many things that needed to be cleaned I decided to spring clean the whole room. Very dangerous! So instead of cleaning my house, I spent all day cleaning my living room. I was washing and hanging out curtains, polishing the lights and windows, dusting the shelves, cleaning out magazine racks, wiping the baseboards, and oh, my, everything looked so nice. Such a good feeling!!! The last thing that needed to be done was to roll up the big rug and haul it outside. These sweepers over here are for the birds. Every so often we just have to take our carpets out and beat all that dust out of them, which isn't impossible since we don't have wall-t...

Trip to Oregon

As some of you already know, I made an unexpected flying trip to be at my sister Judy's wedding this past week. My Dad had some free miles that he used to purchase my ticket only a little more than a week before the wedding. We decided to try to surprise everyone. But the trip wasn't without it's problems. When I got to Warsaw the first morning, my flight to London was cancelled because of the fog. (Warsaw can handle piles of snow, but not fog). The next day I went back to Warsaw and began my delayed trip. When I got to Vancouver that evening and my one hour flight to Portland was cancelled. (Vancouver can handle dense fog, but not snow!!!) Five out of six of my flights were either delayed or cancelled!!! I arrived in Portland a day and a half after I was planning. I had lots of stories to tell. Here are a few excerpts I wrote home while there: "Well, the story doesn't end yet...I don't have a way to call you so I thought you would probably check email first th...