Skip to main content
God had a plan for my forties. It wasn't anything I ever dreamed of but it has brought our family tremendous joy. Amanda Jean joined our family 10 months ago and like my son said, "How can it be that it feels like she was always a part of us?" Yes indeed. She has been our ray of sunshine. Our twenty-one -year old son drove home that first weekend, nine long hours, just to welcome his little sister.
 
My husband and I agree on one thing~God intended young people to have children. We don't have as much energy as we did with our other children. Sometimes we feel old but other times a baby brings us back into a world of youth. One of my siblings said, "Poor Amanda! She will be growing up in the old people's home." I hope not.
 
Some of the things I love about having a baby at this stage of my life:
1. A priceless gift is seeing my teenagers playing with a baby. It brings such joy to my heart.
2. I have a connection with the young mothers at church and I have learned a lot from them.
3. When you feel sad all your teens are moving on with life, busy with school and jobs, you know you have a little one who still needs you.
4. It has made me see the world through the eyes of a child once again.


I hope I never forget the joy of motherhood. It's an incredible privilege. Please remind me of that when she's two and I'm trying to keep up with her.

Comments

damar said…
I never realized that you are the one with the fabric store in Oregon. :)
I am sure that little Amanda brought lots of change into your life.
My children aren't as old as yours, but I can relate to what you said about watching your older children interact with your baby. I love watching my 13 year old son play with his little sister. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Kidnapped Ponderings One Year Later

Austin and Cherilyn on their wedding day Who would have imagined just one year ago that our dear son would be married to the beautiful girl he was in gangster camp with for 62 days? And not only that, but expecting their first child to be born in June? Who would have thought one year ago that we would be here today struggling with the whole story of our lives? I want to share some of my thoughts that I wrote during that time just to try to process the whole thing. It's been big and bittersweet, this kidnapping journey, a year later. (sorry to all who read this one year ago)   October 31, 2021 When has two weeks ever been so long? “You son is among a group of seventeen who were kidnapped,” came the words over the phone on Saturday morning, October 16. Kidnapped? We had just received word that he had landed in Haiti the evening before. Planning to spend 4-6 months down there helping the victims of the recent earthquake, our son planned to spend the weekend at the Christian Aid Mini

Do I Feel Loved or What?

More times than not, my December 17th birthday nearly gets forgotten with all the busy Christmas festivities that try to crowd it out. But a few times in my life I have been totally surprised and this year was one of them. We three American ladies got together on Friday for our annual "candy and cookie" day when we make American goodies to give as gifts to our friends here. I thought it a bit strange that everyone was wishing me a cheerful "Happy Birthday" first thing in the morning when I arrived at my friends house. What are they thinking? It's a day early! Oh, well, I thought, they just don't want to forget this year. But I was secretly thinking about the night out that my husband had planned for the two of us the follwing evening. (At a romantic Italian restaurant in Warsaw, at that!) And I thought about the brunch that my oldest son promised to make on my special day. (Imagine that he is old enough to give me such a gift!) The morning passed and at time

Thanksgiving, Days Between, and Release

 And as the days crawled by...maybe by the wedding...maybe by Thanksgiving...those days and weeks were pure torture for my soul. I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't pray, I wasn't functioning well emotionally. Yet we went through the motions. I along with all the mother's of the boys in captivity had the same thoughts in our minds...if the captives had their way we knew the women and children would be released first...we knew our son may be the last one remaining in the camp. And then what?...would my son be the one that would die for the sake of the rest of this group. So many tears were shed...yet, we felt a strange peace. I share with you the letter I wrote after their release.                                                                                                                                                       1/6/2021                And now sixty days had passed….our lives had set into a new routine. Every morning, those in captivity were the first t